Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy website

The evening downdrafts of the Mendola Massif give the entire terroir of the St. Michael-Eppan winery their character: they ensure the cool nights that give the grapes their extraordinary properties, shaping the fragrance, the unmistakable freshness and longevity of the wines. The downdraft (= “FALLWIND”) is the natural element that blows over the vineyards every day, exerting a positive influence on the climate and supporting the valuable work of the winegrowers.
FALLWIND. The power of nature.

Alto Adige DOC

Pinot Grigio
Fallwind

2022

Our Pinot Grigio grows in warm, sunny vineyards. The loamy limestone gravel soils make the Pinot Grigio Fallwind a wine with noble structure, beautiful balance, extreme elegance and fine, crisp acidity. A wine with an inviting, juicy drinkability.

at sight

pale yellow with a slightly green shimmer

to the nose

ripe pear and honeydew melon

on the palate

creamy and round 

Variety

Pinot gris (formerly Ruländer)

Area of cultivation

Sites: Various vineyards near the village center of St. Michael (400-550m)
Exposure: South, southeast
Soil: Limestone gravel and moraine debris
Training System: Guyot

Vine Age

10 to 30 years

Harvest

early to mid september; harvest and selection of grapes by hand.

Vinification

the majority (80%) is fermented in stainless-steel tanks, with the remainder (20%) in oak barrels, followed by malolactic fermentation. The two wines are combined in March.

Yield

60 hl/ha

ANALYTICAL DATA

Alcohol Content: 14 %
Acidity: 5.15 gr/lt

Serving Temperature

8-10°C

Storage/Potential

4 to 5 years

Pairing Recommendations

The strong white goes well with fish and fish soup, guinea fowl breast or veal fillet.

Awards

jamessuckling 91 P

Fallwind. the power of nature.

The “FALLWIND” wines are ambassadors of our terroir and reflect the remarkable strengths of our growing area in a unique way.
Strict quality guidelines, low yields, intense manual work in the vineyards as well as a meticulous and individual vinification in the cellar make them what they are: characterful, precise and unique wines that convince every connoisseur with their varietal characteristics.

The labels of the “FALLWIND” wines have a strong symbolism that is directly related to the growing area. In the centre is an old etching showing a view of the Macaion, part of the Mendola Massif. Above, the merged star and the waning crescent moon from the coat of arms of the municipality of Appiano, symbols dating from the early Middle Ages and lending the image graphic power and expressiveness.

Top