Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy website

The evening downdrafts of the Mendola Massif give the entire terroir of the St. Michael-Eppan winery their character: they ensure the cool nights that give the grapes their extraordinary properties, shaping the fragrance, the unmistakable freshness and longevity of the wines. The downdraft (= “FALLWIND”) is the natural element that blows over the vineyards every day, exerting a positive influence on the climate and supporting the valuable work of the winegrowers.
FALLWIND. The power of nature.

Alto Adige DOC



The Chardonnay grape variety is one of the most renowned among white wine varieties and prefers warm, sun-drenched sites. Our vineyards offer ideal conditions for a Chardonnay Fallwind, which stands out for its fullness, silky elegance and harmonious balance between acidity and softness. It is accompanied by a hint of ripe fruit. The best prerequisites for enjoyable drinking experiences.

at sight

straw yellow with glints of green 

to the nose

fruity aroma of melon and ripe apples

on the palate

velvety, soft and mild acid structure



Area of cultivation

Sites: various vineyards in Appiano (420-500m)
Exposure: Southeast, southwest
Soil: Limestone gravel and moraine debris
Training System: Guyot

Vine Age

10 to 30 years


early to mid of september; harvest and selection of grapes by hand


The majority (70%) is fermented in stainless-steel tanks, with the remainder (30%) in oak barrels, followed by malolactic fermentation. The two wines are combined in February.


60 hl/ha


Alcohol Content: 14 %
Acidity: 5.35 gr/lt

Serving Temperature



4 to 5 years

Pairing Recommendations

Delightful as an aperitif or on its own; also lovely as an accompaniment to freshwater fish such as tartar of smoked trout as well as to asparagus


jamessuckling 90 P

Fallwind. the power of nature.

The “FALLWIND” wines are ambassadors of our terroir and reflect the remarkable strengths of our growing area in a unique way.
Strict quality guidelines, low yields, intense manual work in the vineyards as well as a meticulous and individual vinification in the cellar make them what they are: characterful, precise and unique wines that convince every connoisseur with their varietal characteristics.

The labels of the “FALLWIND” wines have a strong symbolism that is directly related to the growing area. In the centre is an old etching showing a view of the Macaion, part of the Mendola Massif. Above, the merged star and the waning crescent moon from the coat of arms of the municipality of Appiano, symbols dating from the early Middle Ages and lending the image graphic power and expressiveness.